Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wilderness

I've spent a lot of time in my life looking for places where no one goes.  This is a whole new world though - we've traveled about 750 miles now and haven't seen a soul since we broke off from the boats we left with.  I know there are people out here, but...  not many.

And it's wonderful to realize that I'm NOT in some crazy far away corner.  75% of the planet is like this.  That's mind blowing to me, and truth be told makes me pretty happy.  We get so caught up in the fact that we're terrestrial animals, that I think it's easy to just forget that the sea is by far a larger percentage of planet earth.  It's also three dimensional.  Not to suggest that terra firma isn't (yes, I know there are birds, bugs, etc), but there's really no plane out here where most of the action is.  The surface a boundary, not the main stage.  It's pretty wild to think about our tiny hull floating miles above the sea floor and think about how much is underneath us.  

We saw dolphins again last night.  It's been awhile (since the outside of Baja), and it felt good to be in the presence of mammals again.  These were a smaller, different type than what we were seeing up north.  Some point when the boat stops flinging me wildly from side to side, I'll go and look them up.  It was another huge school though - at least a hundred, I would guess.

The days are blending together, but the sweet moments like the dolphins or the star scape we had last night mark the time in a weird sort of qualitative way.

By my calculations, we're about 25% of the way there.  I don't know if this wind will hold (we've been averaging well over 6 knots and have been doing 7+ all day today), but it's neat to see the miles tick by and realize that we will actually make landfall here sometime...  a thought inspiring enough for us to pick up the French Polynesia book this afternoon and start getting pretty excited.  It's still difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that this passage will culminate in such a cool destination.  Intuitivly, it feels like we should be ending up just somewhere else in Mexico...

Back to my watch.

-Krister

3 comments:

  1. Kris--Love your thinking and writing--so beautiful and evocative. Love Amanda's posts too.--Maud

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too! Good to hear of differentness. I just taught Ximena about how Earth is 75%water. Cool huh? much love-Ah Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys
    Sorry i haven't been keeping -up much. I'm loving your comments Krister re; the planet,water-land, depth; and a previous dialogue about time...how moment by moment it can be until you realize that these moments accumulate and make hours, days, weeks... a life time.Not exactly your words, but that's how I read them. Thanks for the inspiration/reminder to LIVE life. Flying fish, and dolphins 4 company...yea!!
    Looking forward to reading and writing more...just as soon as i find time to pee...
    Phil-Crgns

    ReplyDelete