Sunday, April 24, 2011

Crossing the Equator

My watch last night was incredible. Winds were light and abeam, but just enough to keep us gliding through the water at about 5 knots. The clouds had lifted, and the sky was awash in starlight. Starlight. I never really knew there was such a thing. As we were sailing, I was looking around and couldn't quite figure out what was wrong with the picture I was seeing. Then I realized that though the moon hadn't risen, the visibility was amazing, and everything was bathed in a subtle and mysterious glow. If we'd been hiking, I could have seen every step in the starlight. In all my previous experience, starscapes are only seen when it's dark, somewhat by definition - the darker, the more stars. But I was very aware that there were stars I couldn't see because other stars were too bright - it was literally the most stars it's possible to see, I think. It's difficult to render this through words alone, but it was awe inspiring. Particularly when coupled with such perfect sailing.

Then, we crossed the equator. I was off watch at that point, and Amanda woke me up wearing a moustache and a captain's hat. Apparently cross dressing is somewhat of a tradition when you cross the equator - sailors are an odd bunch.

So, now we've crossed into the South Pacific proper, and though we still have about 700 miles to go before we make landfall, it's starting to feel like we're almost there. We've been reading through the guidebooks and allowing ourselves to start getting excited about the destination and not just the journey.

Current Position:
01.05S (that's south, baby!) by 131.01W

4 comments:

  1. It sounds incredible! I'd do anything right now for a quiet night in the middle of the ocean. I think I'll keep coming back to posts like this when I feel overwhelmed with the to-do lists. I know it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are shellbacks now!!

    Congrats.

    That sounds awesome.

    Love,
    The Carrolls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written!, it almost feels like I'am there. At the Chabot Planetariam dome they can simulate the Southern Hemisphere night sky, it feels like being on a different planet,I imagine you have a similar feeling. Starlight scopes first came out when I was in the Army in 1968, they were able to ascertain individual facial features at a thousand meters in total darkness with no infra-red projector,it seemed like magic. Some day in the future I will tell you the story of Cats-Eye Cunningham. Gene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!--Star-struck Maud

    ReplyDelete