Monday, January 10, 2011

On Vacation and Saying Goodbye

The last 8+ years have been a little short on downtime (I'll sleep when I'm 30 was a refrain - that doesn't seem to be working out...), so it was in keeping with that theme that my plan for the last three days has been as follows:

Friday:
1. Go to work for a full day
2. Get rid of my car
3. Get rid of Amanda's car
4. Sell extra spinnaker
5. Go to the bank and ready finances for two years at sea
6. Be a rockstar (the last Dynamite Truck show!!)
7. After party until 4AM

Saturday:
1. Cure hangover
2. Say goodbye to Grandma
3. Say goodbye to Frank
4. Say goodbye to Bradfords (more to follow on these guys)
5. Ready boat for round world tour (don't forget this one)
6. Say goodbye to Suzy
7. Say goodbye to Mom
8. Get to bed early.




Sunday:
1. Wake up rested and ready
2. Leave dock at 7AM.

So somewhere mid Saturday, exhausted and somewhat frantic Amanda and I realized that we're ON VACATION - no need to shove off quite so ridiculously early after all and schedules are for people with jobs... That was sort of a liberating realization. Saturday night was therefore much more mellow (asleep at 11, droopy eyelids at about... 8AM? Friday night was FUN!), and Sunday was great - we had a chance to ready the boat at a much more reasonable pace, and had more time to just relax. In a lot of ways, yesterday felt like our first day cruising even though we didn't go anywhere.

But, now it's 24 hours later, and departure is immanent. We were planning on waking up slow, but I'm beyond sleep at this point - I've been staring up out the hatch in the v-berth for the last hour, so it seems better to take advantage of the last bit of internet connectivity while I've got it than to go over mental checklists for the thousandth time.

The plan right now is to push off and head to Half Moon Bay for the night tonight. It should be a 6-8 hour sail depending on wind conditions, which gives us time (in theory) to anchor in the daylight and go pick Rick and Suzy up at the dock. Rick will be joining us to help crew (or barf off the side - time will tell) down to San Diego, and Suzy will be spending one last night with us before she meets us in Cabo. I'm happy that we'll have family visiting us as soon as day one :)

I'm not sure when we'll be able to post again, but thanks to my best Game Ready friends, you'll be able to track our progress as we head south - see the link on your right.

Ok, time to take the last shower for awhile...

2 comments:

  1. Just a quicky! I know, I know totally my style! heheh I wanted to let you know that I can tell by your writing voices which one of your is blogging but some of Krister's Game Ready peeps may not be able to tell which one of you is blogging at a given time. Just something to keep in mind.
    Have the most sweetest of sailings, my friends and family of my heart! Keep blogging whenever you can because it's all we have! xoxoxoxo
    -Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to a good start! So glad the vacation realization took affect!
    If all the thoughts for you two could fit an image...I think it would be when Peter Pan drops off the Darling kids in Captian Hook's ship and it's covered with Pixie dust so that it can fly...I think each thought and prayer is a golden speck of pixie dust carrying you along your journey.
    I love you Farm Cats
    Sista Ah-Betty

    ReplyDelete