Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Anaho Bay: Part II


Anaho Bay is pretty much my new favorite place on the planet. This anchorage is comically still compared to most of what we've seen thus far, there are no bugs, the wind is gentle, the water is tropical-blue and clear enough to see our anchor easily and the abundance of the land is wonderful (yesterday's hike yielded some pretty delicious mango treats. I can't believe food this good just... grows on trees!). I'm still awed by the abrupt rise of these volcanic cliffs, and the excitement we felt at seeing green when we made landfall a few weeks ago hasn't yet worn off. We'll be here for another few days, but i already feel like I'll have to tear myself away when we're ready to leave.

We've settled into pretty serious relax mode at this point. I think the key we've discovered is to see a few places well rather than try to see a little of a large number of destinations. That allows us to really feel present where we are.

For three of the last four days, we've shared this anchorage with piko, whatcha gonna do and no one else. Having the three boats anchored in a rough triangle, all swimming distance apart has been really fun. We've had dinner together, hiked together, snorkeled together and just had the chance to chill and hang out. I've always wanted to live somewhere where I had a strong sense of community, and being able to swim through 80 degree clear water to your friend's boat is about as good it gets.

I just got down below deck from sitting in the hammock with amanda watching the moon rise over this little bay we're in. it seems so rare to have things be this... comfortable. Still boat, warm breeze, beautiful night, good dinner... I'm grateful for it all as it comes, and happy that i feel so in touch with the gratitude.


-Editor's Note
The last two posts were adapted from emails Krister and Amanda sent over HF. In cleaning them up for publication I realize I made a mistake. Krister typed the originals entirely in lowercase, which I up-cased. Now that I look at it the lower case really reinforced the "relax mode" vibe that Krister was talking about. You'll just have to imagine a life where hitting shift just doesn't seem strictly necessary and I'll try to be less uptight next time :)

5 comments:

  1. Kris and Amanda--It sounds sososososososo wonderful!!!!! Hugs, Maud
    Tucker--Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since 'The Rapture' and the 'End of The World' is tomarrow (the 21st) I thought I better write. Did you get the message? it has been in the news for weeks. It sounds like you have chosen a great place to experience the 'End Times',so if you don't come back, it will be understandable. I envy your not having to hear the idotic media. At least in the future you will have these experiences to recall when things get hectic. Gene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I was hoping to find someone who'd been in Anaho recently. I'm heading there to do some reserach in a few weeks and was wondering how good the cell coverage is these days... can you advise? Also out of curiosity, was there any coverage at all in Daniel's Bay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi jen,

    we didn't try for cell service in either daniel's or anaho. i'm guessing that there's probably cell service in anaho (we saw a tower), but daniel's would be iffy.

    good luck and fair winds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info! What a great photo. Can't wait to get there. Happy sails.

    ReplyDelete